Monday, August 01, 2005

Days 3, 4, & 5

Day 3 was spent at the upper and lower Belvedere’s. Both house impressive collections; the former has a new exhibit on post WW2 Austrian, and the latter has a cute collection of Baroque art including some of the most detailed “squinting face” sculptures I have seen.
Around the same area is the majestic Karslkirch cathedral. Luckily there was an ongoing renovation and we were allowed to climb to the very top of the dome. Truly grand.

Right outside the lower belvedere is a pub/restaurant that has its own beer. I tried it, both the dark and light, but am still not fond of beer in general. I guess it’s a gay thing. I would much rather have a wine spritzzer, the summer drink of the Viennese. It is mineral water mixed with white wine. Truly a pretentiously fabulous drink.

Day 4 was a lazy day. The weather got cooler, finally, and my feet were killing me after 2 days of jogging. Hence I was forced to use the subway to go into the city. I dined at the highly recommended Café Demel. Had three cakes, 1 cup of pear bandy, and ice-tea. SWEEET

Day five, today, I went on a 4 hour boat tour around Vienna. It was relaxing and gave me the opportunity to try new coffee and ice-cream drinks as well sunbathe some more. Very relaxing. Tonight I will be hitting the gay town with a local friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->
Name:
Location: LA, California, United States
...three years ago, the leader of al-Qaida in Mesopotamia wrote to his guru Osama Bin Laden, saying that there was a real danger of the electoral process succeeding in Iraq and of "suffocating" the true Islamist cause. The only way of preventing this triumph of the democratic heresy, wrote Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was to make life so unbearable for the heretical Shiites that they would respond in kind. The ensuing conflict would ruin all the plans of the Crusader-Zionist alliance." By Mr. Hitch"