Saturday, July 24, 2004

From Paris

I have arrived in both good health and spirit. The plane ride was safe, comfortable, and I had a good meal with lots of wine. To my surprise the gentlemen next to me was a Lebanese Armenian on his way to Edjmiatsin church, the oldest in Armenia. You see, his US born son will be baptized there. I chatted with him a great deal and will most likely see him in Armenia.

I landed in Paris. Took a cab and bus to University of Paris. My cousin had given me the wrong directions so i ended walking a bit more than i would have liked. Nevertheless, I found her building. The first night i went to a lecture with her. The award winning architect professor lectured us about his new design for a 10 city block area of Paris. It had just been approved and we all witnessed the uncovering of the detailed schematics. Then we went out for a late snack at an exceptionally friendly Greek restaurant (Cafe Des Arts) near the Notre Damn. Off to bed afterwords.

DAY 1

Woke up at 8am and walked out the door at 8:45am. Took the Metro to the Latin Quarter and went to Luxembourg. To say the least, It is big with decent gardens and some great sculptures of naked men. Spent about 30 minutes there and left towards a curious dome visible slightly over the top of the adjacent building.

As i walked i noticed a food stand and recalled the words of my cousin Ani. “Try everything, everywhere.” So i did. I had something sweet and a coke. But, as luck would have it, i spilled the coke on my Armani shirt. I guess i was being punished for drinking the quintessential American drink in France. So i stood there dumbfounded, cursing the French gods when i remembered the words of my mother “Spend as much as you must, you deserve it.” So I listened to mother, for once, and spent 20£ on a tight black muscle shirt.  Yes, i have muscles.

The dome that had caught my eye was none other than Sorbonne. Truly a magnificent structure with a nice library that is off to visitors unless the guy at the front desk thinks you are cute. I walked all over and visited a few classrooms then headed off to the Pantheon. I decided to take the tour of the Church/Pantheon. The next tour was an hour away, so i took a walk around the outside. In front of the Pantheon is the mayor's building which also houses a gallery. So i checked it out and was impressed by the galleries modest collection of Salvador Dali inspired clothes, works of Albrecht Durer, and others. I also decided to take a picture with the first openly gay mayor of Paris. Unfortunately he was out, no pun intended. So i had some of the mayoral water in his office and went back to the Pantheon in time for my tour.

The tour was nice but the building itself was overwhelming. I cannot describe it but am glad that cameras exist. 2 hours later i was off to to see the National History Museum. It is a lavish 5 story open-interior building with all glass elevators and dark oaked walls and ceiling. The stuffed animals and whale skeletons were cute.

After leaving behind vegan-hell, i went to see the St. Germain chapel. It is the oldest in France and is once again a magnificent piece of architecture. The left tower is currently being restored. Here i lit a candle for my cousin Rose. Next i headed towards the Yves Saint Laurent store, near which i ate more food and discovered a great desert place. I spent an hour eating here and was treated like a chubby child in a candy store. (They pampered me so well.)

Afterwords, i visited a few more shops and churches, then went home. My feet were killing me and i arrived on campus to find Sona missing. I had no key for her unit and decided to get my own room for 20£ a night. You see the campus becomes a hostel in summer and all are welcome. Plus, i had a few disagreements with Sona and chose no longer to stay under her anal-retentive gaze.

My room is cool. I have a view, a bed, table, pillows, a phone, and a sink. The bathroom and frig are common property, yet are clean and well maintained. Freedom is a good thing, and i highly recommend this hostel (Foundation Denois) to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->
Name:
Location: LA, California, United States
...three years ago, the leader of al-Qaida in Mesopotamia wrote to his guru Osama Bin Laden, saying that there was a real danger of the electoral process succeeding in Iraq and of "suffocating" the true Islamist cause. The only way of preventing this triumph of the democratic heresy, wrote Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was to make life so unbearable for the heretical Shiites that they would respond in kind. The ensuing conflict would ruin all the plans of the Crusader-Zionist alliance." By Mr. Hitch"